You know the feeling, those book that when you finish you say – wow, that would be awesome as a movie/tv show if done right. So here it my list and feel free to do your own list and let me know so I can check them out!
THE TV SHOWS
- The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani – this would be a great film trilogy but I think it would also work for the small screen or even an adult cartoon series. Very imaginative, full of wonder with tons of dynamic characters… it would be wonderful.
- The Girl in 6E by A.R. Torre – Dexter but a woman = perfection. The books are excellent, the characters are great and it can be done in a very low-budget manner because most the story take place in Deanna’s room and her hallway. This would be a great long-running series in HBO or Showtime.
- Soulless by Gail Carriger – BBC needs to adapt the shit out of this series because it would be perfection. I would just watch and watch until I couldn’t watch anymore.
- The Witch’s Daughter by Paula Brackston – given that Elizabeth lives 300 years in the first book there’s SO MANY stories to live as the witch attempts to conceal herself through the centuries. In the book she visits 4 time periods and this can easily be incorporated into a TV show. Also, the show would do much more with Gideon’s character which I feel would transition very well as an antihero given enough development and a POV.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – I am admittedly not this book’s biggest fan because I felt it lacked plot and rich characters both of which would be 100% remedied in the hands of a TV show creator. I know it’s been optioned for a film but given how little plot and how much was still lacking in character development I think the show arena would benefit it the most.
I cheated…. I couldn’t just pick 5…
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – if you’ve read it you know this is a movie waiting to happen. It’s more of a I NEED THIS MOVIE TO HAPPEN WITH ALL THE FIRE IN MY SOUL.
- City of Thieves by David Benioff – this is a sure Oscar contender if ever adapted. Set during the Siege of Leningrad this has all the making of a gut-wrenching film and like all WWII movies it’s sure to bring out the best casting.
- The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen – this would work as a Game of Thrones -esque show or a film because this series has everything – fantasy, battles, dystopian sci-fi world, magic and above all one of my favorite female leads ever.
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer – this would be a big-budget film, HUGE budget, but given the current atmosphere for big movies, this would satisfy that want so I don’t know why no one has done this yet, this is a cash-cow waiting to happen.
- You by Caroline Kepnes – I know this is being optioned for a TV show and I personally think it’s a mistake. This is movie-material with Dave Franco or Joseph Gordon-Levitt just waiting to nail an Oscar-worthy performance as hilarious psychotic stalker Joe complete with Buddy Holly soundtrack to boost the creep factor or even The Divinyls because honestly this soundtrack would be… killer.
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart – this has Sundance indie film stamped all over it and I think it would be utterly awesome as we follow an unreliable narrator and the Sinclairs in their own private island full of secrets.
- Night Film by Marissa Pessl – this is one of those books which I think the movie will be better than the book. It needs to be gritty, tense, noir, fantastical – trippy nonsense.
Technically 12, I know but very often I read a book and think – man, this would make a great movie!